This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

TFS 2013 Update 2: Uninstall TFS 2013 RTM first?

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:59 PM
In the following blog post from the "Microsoft Team Foundation Server setup support Team's Blog", http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tfssetup/archive/2014/04/08/walkthrough-upgrading-tfs-2013-rtm-to-tfs-2013-update-2-rtm.aspx, we find the following statement, "Before we start the upgrade we need to uninstall the existing TFS version from Programs and Features window." I suggest that you update the "TFS Upgrade Guide" to reflect this statement.

I have not read or seen the specific reason as to why we need to uninstall TFS 2013 RTM before installing TFS 2013 Update 2, so if you can find that out and include that in the "TFS Upgrade Guide" that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave Burnison
Sr. ALM Consultant
InCycle Software
Apr 22, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up. You are right that there is no need to uninstall TFS 2013 RTM before installing TFS 2013 Update 2. We are in contact with the owner of the blog to update it accordingly. As per the upgrade guidance you only need to uninstall manually if you are upgrading from TFS 2010.
Apr 22, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Thanks for the clarification and following up to get the blog corrected. This will definitely reduce the friction related to upgrading to TFS Update 2013 Update 2.
Apr 22, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Edited Apr 22, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Hold on, one of my colleagues just replied and said that performing an un-install on the Brian Keller VM seems to avoid the following issue that I and another colleague encountered when upgrading the Brian Keller VM:

___I have upgraded the Brian Keller VM to TFS 2013 Update 2. However, when I try to open any test case in MTM I get “Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation” where I should see the test steps. I also see this when I try to create a new test case.

I can run test cases without issue. If I go to team web access, I can see and edit the test steps.___

Have you or any of the ALM Rangers seen this issue after upgrading to TFS 2013? Do you think uninstalling the previous version of TFS is the answer to avoiding this issue? I have not yet taken the time to do uninstall/reinstall TFS and/or Visual Studio on the BK VM.

Dave
Apr 23, 2014 at 9:33 PM
Dave, can you please try the workaround mentioned at the following location and let us know how it goes? http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/850264/tf30162-task-testresolutionstate-from-group-testmanagement-failed
Marked as answer by DBurnison on 4/23/2014 at 3:23 PM
Apr 23, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Edited Apr 23, 2014 at 11:37 PM
This fixed the problem I had with MTM.

Thanks!

However, I am still not clear about uninstalling previous versions of TFS before installing TFS 2013 Update 2. Should we do an uninstall to avoid this issue with MTM?
Apr 25, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Dave, the problem will not happen if VS 2013 Update 2 patch is installed before installing TFS 2013 Update 2 as outlined in the connect thread.
Apr 30, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Just to close the loop on the uninstall question, I thought I would let you know that I received the following update from the author of the blog post: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/850264/tf30162-task-testresolutionstate-from-group-testmanagement-failed.

Dave,

You were right in pointing that out.
We have updated the blog to reflect the same.

We don’t need to uninstall from TFS 2012 onwards.

Regards,
Venkat